Instrument Reservation SettingSettings are bound to a single instrument at a given time. The setting(s) of instrument reservation
are accessed from within the instrument's context.
Each instrument has at least one instrument reservation setting with a set of default
values preset right after the instrument is created.
After selection of an instrument reservation setting through the hyperlink under the
column ID, the setting details screen provides the Edit button for modification of the setting.
In case there instrument reservations are already associated with it, the modification is limited to few fields which do not cause side effects. Those figures are depicted in the following figure.
Otherwise the following screen will be shown.
- Valid From: Defines the start of the date interval of instrument reservations for which the given settings are applied and is always a Sunday. It is not meant to be updated if the instrument has only one setting or if it is the second and last setting or if there are two reservations happening one week before and the other within the same week.
- Valid Until: Defines the end of the date interval of instrument reservations for which the given settings are applied and is always a Sunday. It is not meant to be updated if the instrument has only one setting or if it is the last setting or if there are two reservations happening one week before and the other within the same week (does not apply to figure 5).
- Weekends: States whether the instrument can be booked for weekend days.
- Slot Duration: Defines slot duration for instrument reservation. In a single reservation, the user might book a duration which is any multiple of the slot duration (unless restricted by max duration). For instance, you define half-day slots by entering 12 hours for slot duration.
- Slot Shift Time: The time all slots are shifted.
- Slot Label Interval: Defines the time slots displayed in the schedule screen. If a slot duration is defined, then the interval is implicitly set to that value.
- Min/Max Duration: The minimum/maximum time the instrument must be booked in a single reservation.
- Slot Min/Max Time: The slot min/max time is used to reduce the day time interval the instrument is bookable.
- Charge Time Unit: Instrument usage should be charged either by days, hours or minutes.
- Operator Required: Determines whether or not an operator must be assigned for instrument reservations.
- Approval Required: Determines whether or not an instrument reservation must be approved either by operator or instrument manager.
- Reminder Days: Number of days before an upcoming event the reminder should be triggered. Zero days means no reminder!
- Bookable Ahead Max Duration: Determines maximum duration an instrument can be reserved ahead
- Bookable Ahead Min Duration: Determines minimum duration an instrument must be reserved ahead!
Single SettingValid From and Valid Until fields determine both Valid Interval.
An instrument's default setting Valid From and Valid Until fields can not be modified because it is assumed they are unknown at creation time. In this scenario
both Valid From and Valid Until fields are marked as not updatable as shown in figure 6.
Multiple SettingsWhen an instrument has new requirements which are in conflict with settings of the instrument when it was first created, the solution to prevent such conflicts is to manage the Validity Interval of Instrument Reservation Settings. To this end, new setting must be added using the Add button from within the list of Instrument settings (Figure 2). When adding a new setting Valid Until is not needed as shown in Figure 7.
When a new setting is added to the default instrument setting, the validity interval of all settings can potentially be updated.
Both creation and update operations will cause update of adjacent settings. Considering settings 43 and 355 from figure 8, update of Valid Until of setting 43 will cause automatic update of Valid From of setting 355 and reciprocally update of Valid From of setting 355 will automatically update Valid Until of setting 43.
These changes can be observed in figures 9, 10, 11 and 12 where update of Valid From of 355 from 2021-01-04 to 2021-01-11 will cause the same update of Valid Until of 43.
Moving settings backward or forward not only depends on instrument reservations of the concerned setting but also on its neighbour settings' reservations before and after.
Except for Weekends, Reminder Days, Weekends, Bookable Ahead Max/Min Duration setting modification is not allowed when associated instrument reservations exist.
The two following approaches have been considered to configure the reservation of an instrument:
Predefined durationsDe facto hidden setting of instrument reservations in former versions of Bfabric where only morning or afternoon slots of 12 hours were permitted.
That is why the same approach has been kept but has been extended to provide greater flexibility. It is now possible to not only have multiple slots of 24 (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, 24) but all possible durations accessible in Slot Duration list.
Flexible durationsUseful when further customizations such as minimum and maximum durations ( labelled Min Duration and Max Duration ) as well as possible earliest and latest times ( labelled Slot Min Time and Slot Max Time ) are needed.
Default ValuesAn instrument's reservation setting is by default given the values listed below to give the look and feel of prior Bfabric versions where only morning and after-noon reservations was possible.
- Weekends: TRUE
- Slot Duration: 12h 00m
- Slot Shift Time: 00h 00m
- Slot Label Interval: 12h 00m
- Min Duration: 12h 00m
- Charge Time Unit: DAYS
- Reminder Days: 1